Recent/Significant Posts:

We often refer friends to our post(s) on our experiences with Ben's Tuberous Sclerosis Complex, as of yet these are:
--- Our introduction to this disease and basic timeline February 2012 through July 26, 2013.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Primary Sharing Time - 3rd Week of July, 2010

I'm second counselor in our (church's) Primary these days, and working on a Sharing Time for the upcoming week. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it --- I'll soon go back to yapping about my kids' Birthdays and other earth shattering family "news"... or, you are more than welcome check out the 2010 Outline for Sharing Time page on the official LDS (aka Mormon Church) website!)

Anyway, the theme for this coming week is: Jesus Christ’s Example Teaches Me How to Live. One suggested activity is to have kids match up pictures of Christ setting an example of a gospel principle (such as prayer, baptism, etc) with Primary Songs about the topic and, of course, with related scripture references. There are four suggestions for "matches" in the outline and I thought of a couple more. I also decided I want to use two pictures on some examples - one of Christ and one of "modern" people doing the same thing. The pictures I'm using are all in the Gospel Art Book (GAB) and the songs are from the Children's Song Book (CS). Here's my list:

1. Christ's Example: praying, praying with family
pictures: "Jesus Praying with His Mother" (GAB 33) and "Family Prayer" (GAB 112);
song: "A Child's Prayer" (CS 12-13)
scriptures: Matthew 19:14 and D&C 112:10

2. Christ's Example: studying the gospel
pictures: Boy Jesus in the Temple" (GAB 34) and "Joseph Smith Seeks Wisdom in the Bible" (GAB 89)
song: "Seek the Lord Early" (CS 108)
scripture: Luke 2:42-49

3. Christ's Example: being baptized
pictures:"John... Baptizing Jesus" (GAB 35) and "Girl Being Baptized" (GAB 104)
song: "Baptism" (CS 100-101)
scripture: Matthew 3:13-17

4. Christ's Example: calling apostles (their example of willing service, etc)
pictures: "Calling of the Fishermen" (GAB 37) and Any picture of the current apostles (out of the Ensign or whatever you can find --- our library has one)
song: "Come Follow Me" (Hymn 116 --- regular adult Hymn book)
scripture: Matthew 4:18-20

5. Christ's Example: sharing/teaching the gospel
pictures: "Go Ye Therefore" (GAB ___?) or "The Sermon on the Mount" (GAB 39) and Pictures of Modern Missionaries (GAB 109 and 110, or photos from own ward if available)
song: We'll Bring the World His Truth (CS 172)
scriptures: Matthew 28:19-20

6. Christ's Example: healing, serving the "afflicted", loving regardless of physical condition
pictures: "Jesus Healing the Nephites" (GAB 83) and Any poster/picture you can find with kids helping each other or visiting sick or such (I ended up with a poster showing a little boy helping a little girl ride a trike --- it's all I could find so far...)
song: "I'll Walk with You" (CS 140-141)
scripture: 3 Nephi 17:7-9

7. Christ's Example: His continuing love for us and His promise to Return
pictures: "The Second Coming" (GAB 66) and "Christ and Children from around the World" (GAB 116)
song: "When He Comes Again" (CS 82)
scripture: Matthew 16:27 (and Matthew 19:14 again!)

Just to be clear, #2, 3, 5 & 6 are the ones mentioned specifically in the official Sharing Time Outline, the rest were what I felt good about after looking through the various songs we are using this year and paging through the Gospel Art Book.... If you thought of some I didn't, PLEASE SHARE!

Also, since I figure our Primary Chorister is plenty busy already --- and since she goes into the Nursery and such while we are doing Sharing Time, I am just putting the songs I need onto a CD... The MP3s are all free to download from the church website, and, in fact, from the "Songs for Use During Sacrament Meeting Presentation in 2010" page, nonetheless :-)

Oh, and although I'm having the older kids look up the scripture references in their own Bibles, etc, I also printed them off in larger type for the younger kids --- very easy to do thanks to the church's online scriptures!

Hope this saves someone some time --- or that I get comments suggesting more!

- Jen

15 comments:

The Talbot Family said...

This is perfect! Thanks! I just had a baby 4 weeks ago, and I am back in the saddle for sharing time. Your idea made it easier for me to get my lesson planned an figured out. I might give each class a different scripture reference and then the class will choose the picture and song to match the reference, teach the primary about the scripture and picture and also lead the whole primary in singing the song.

Thanks for you help!

Kimpossible said...

This is SO great. I'm totally doing it. Thanks!

Kim said...

Saved my butt! Had no time to prepare!! Thanks heaps - Kim

Emilee said...

Thanks for sharing! I love that it's an extension of what is already in the ST outline.

shauna said...

Thanks! I wanted to do the outline idea but I was afriad 4 pictures just wouldn't use up my whole time. My daughter's baptism was yesterday and I'm afraid I realized this morning that I totally procrastinated getting sharing time done. I appreciate you sharing these!

PS Came over from Sugardoodle... :)

dnA said...

Thanks for your help! I have one question...How do you use the GAB pictures? Since they are bound in the book, you'd have to tear them out to put them up on the board or have several books...

Tammy said...

These were great. I didn't know how I was going to do this and your outline was great! Thank you so much for posting it.

Jen (Haroldsen) Higgins said...

I'm glad this is turning out to be helpful to a few people! I really like to follow the outline whenever possible, or at least use it as a starting point....

As far as using the Gospel Art Book, those pictures (or most of them, I think) used to come in a Gospel Art "Kit" as separate pages. Your library may have that, or, I personally am just using whatever posters my library has that are close to the ones I listed. I just put the GAB numbers as a common point of reference especially since it is online so you see which ones I'm talking about... (I think I have it linked into the post) You can actually print off pictures from the online GAB, but my printer isn't that nice...

Good Luck to All! Feel free to leave comments tomorrow about how it goes!!

Sarah said...

thank you for the great ideas!

moaspen said...

Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This really helped me. You are awesome!

eclaires said...

Thanks! This was very helpful to get me going. I like your effort to stick to the manual, but to kind of expand from there. I am posting what I did on my blog. I used many of your ideas, but changed some things around. A few different pictures and stuff. Thanks for the great help!

Jen (Haroldsen) Higgins said...

I'm putting in a new post about how things went...

eclaires: sounds like yours worked out great! I often use whispering to get attention (usually with the littler kids, though), but I never thought of using it as an example of an example...
:-)

Leslie said...

this is great, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the ideas....you make it very easy!